The Beginning, 1918
The College of Divine Metaphysics was organized in 1918 as the
realization of a dream held by Dr Joseph Perry Green,
one of the early pioneers in the Metaphysical movement
in America. In order to raise money to establish the
College, Dr Green traveled from city to city, giving
lectures and holding classes. Many of our alumni gained
their first knowledge of Metaphysics in those early gatherings.
With courage born of great
faith, he ventured into unknown territory and set up
the standard of Truth. But during his journeys around
the country, he started to realize the impossibility
of personally reaching all the people who were ready
for his teachings. Covering the expense of bringing the message in person
became too great a challenge. Yet Dr Green knew many
people around the country were ready for this newer
revelation of Truth.
Out of this need, the College of Divine Metaphysics was
born. This same appeal to those who want to know more about metaphysics philosophy has kept the College in continuous
operation ever since.
In 1924 Dr Green assigned
the extension work to Dr William H. Woodfin who, at
that time, was Director-General of the Church of Divine
Metaphysics. The next year Dr Greens itinerary kept him away from the College for some time and he resigned.
1925 to 1945
In 1925, Dr Woodfin
was elected to fill the office of director after Dr Green
resigned. Dr Woodfin held this position until his death
in 1945. In the first seven years, the Institution
had not grown much; it became apparent that if the
school was to fulfill its purpose and become an important
factor in the Metaphysical movement, some changes in
program and methods of operation must be made.
With the training and experience
gained in his many years of organization work, Dr Woodfin
outlined his plan. He first sought
to establish a policy that would be stable and permanent
for the purpose of creating confidence and assurance
among the students. Next, he moved to broaden the influence
of the school and to bring it to the attention of those
most interested. Dr Woodfin's unquenchable faith in the
rightness of his goals sustained his efforts.
He gradually laid the
foundation for a global outreach. At no time during
the long term of his Administration did he swerve or
deviate from his ideal for teaching sound principles
of Truth. Refusing opportunities to compromise, he
held true to his ideals and to the course that ultimately
led the College to its goal for expansion.
1945 to 1977
As years passed, it became increasingly
important that the school have its own home, and a building
was purchased in 1944. It housed the College
work and was well adapted to its needs. After Dr Woodfin
passed away, his assistant, Dr Ruth M. Hurley, became
president. She continued the work of the College until
the late 1950s when Dr. Henry Carns became president.
A. Carns became the Colleges fourth president
at its location in Indianapolis,
Indiana. In 1969 the College moved from Illinois Street to Delaware
Street. For over twenty years Dr Carns
propagated the message for which the College stood;
as a result, the school's message found its way to Metaphysical
students around the world.
1977 to 1991
On December 1, 1977, Dr Carns retired. At this time, the College and the
Church of Divine Metaphysics closed in Indianapolis.
In 1978, the Alumni Association of the College of Divine
Metaphysics of the Church of Divine Metaphysics was
incorporated in the State of California as a nonprofit
religious and educational corporation. The Association
resumed operations of the College under its fifth president,
Dr Joseph A. Garduno, a graduate of the College and a chaplain. Dr Garduno lived in Glendora, California. The College vice-president and advisor, Dr
Virginia Means, lived in Pasadena.
Dr Garduno (known by students as Dr Joe) began a service for prisoners, offering courses to those incarcerated in American prisons for half price. In 1990, Dr Garduno's
daughter, Penelope Privette, began serving as his
1991 to 2006
In 1991, Dr Garduno
engaged Ann Gordon, one of the school's students, to edit and update the College
courses and promotional materials. Dr Gordon is a teacher,
consultant, editor, and published writer with
a Bachelor's degree in English, a Master's degree in Computer
Information Systems, and a Ph.M. degree from the College
of Divine Metaphysics. In 2002, she built
this website to help spread the word about the courses and
programs offered by the College. She started the Online Division to communicate with students who preferred email to postal mail.
After Dr Virginia Means passed away,
Dr Gordon expanded her role to
become the College Advisor. In 2004 she became Director of the Online Division and the Vice-President of the College.
In 2007, Dr Garduno moved
from California to Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico, the land where he was born and raised. He moved the headquarters of the College with him. Dr Gordon continues to direct the Online Division from her home office in Utah.
In 2018 the College celebrated its 100 year anniverary, an important milestone and a great achievement. Its strong studentbody and global interest have fulfilled the dreams of both Dr Green and Dr Woodfin. But sadly, Dr Joe Garduno, 90 years old, passed away in January, 2018. In his absence,Dr Gordon continues to head the Online Division, helping students around the world to earn their certificates, degrees, and ordination in Divine Metaphysics.
The College of Divine Metaphysics has students and
aspirants in many countries. Our hope is that the school's True teachings will continue to have a positive impact on the world community.
Top of Page Home Page